Favorite yeast for all grain batches?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Favorite yeast for all grain batches?

Postby Beerandsuds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm

I've embarked on a malting corn journey, mashing and then fermenting is around the corner. I was planning on using 1118, but some folks think its a bad idea.

For those that have done all grain batches, what yeast(s) do you like?
Beerandsuds
Rumrunner

Re: Favorite yeast for all grain batches?

Postby Prairiepiss » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

My fist AG trials I bought some C&B DADY just for it. I normally use bakers yeast for everything. And keep EC-1118 on name for a backup. Well the DADY failed to start. Bad batch who knows. Well I tried all three in separate test jars. And ended up going with the bakers yeast. My old faithful. It's never let me down.

But I would like to try some good beer yeasts when I get back into AG.

EC-1118 is a wine yeast. Not the best suited for a grain ferment. Better for wine type ferments. But will work for all if you so choose.

My general rules.
Use wine yeast for fruit and or meads.
Use beer yeast for grains.
Use bakers yeast for anything.
Use turbo yeast to make rocket fuel. (I don't have a rocket so don't use it)
Use wild yeast for whatever. But make sure you have a backup.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby Odin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 am

I tried some different yeasts and returned to granulated dry baker's yeast.

That's what I use for everything now.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Master Distiller

Postby Beerandsuds » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 am

When people use bakers yeast, are you using dry active yeast or instant yeast?
Beerandsuds
Rumrunner

Postby Odin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 am

dry granulated. Maybe the "wet" variety is just as good, but I don't like the mess it gives me.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Master Distiller

Postby Beerandsuds » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

Odin wrote:dry granulated. Maybe the "wet" variety is just as good, but I don't like the mess it gives me.

Odin.

Both dry active and instant are dry and granulated.
Beerandsuds
Rumrunner

Postby Usge » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

I use either Fleichmanns or Red Star, dry active yeast. One 5gram packet per 5 gallons. You can find it at just about any grocery store. It's cheap. And it works good/consistently. I also like Nottingham Ale Yeast for AG corn/barley for stuff I plan to oak/age. But, it's over 4 bucks a packet here.
Usge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Beerandsuds » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 am

Usge wrote:I use either Fleichmanns or Red Star, dry active yeast. One 5gram packet per 5 gallons. You can find it at just about any grocery store. It's cheap. And it works good/consistently. I also like Nottingham Ale Yeast for AG corn/barley for stuff I plan to oak/age. But, it's over 4 bucks a packet here.

Anyone on here ever wash yeast? If you do it right you can get 256 batches off of one package.
Beerandsuds
Rumrunner

Postby heartcut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

Red Star baker's yeast for most but Safale S-04 for Scotch, and EC-1118 (or Red Star Champagne) on hand for stuck ferments.
heartcut

Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

George Carlin
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Usge » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 am

re: washing yeast. I personally do not. I know a few have here...seen threads on it. I've saved lees and re-used yeast many times.
Usge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Kittra » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:05 pm

over the last few months, I have tried different yeast. I have been working with Uncle Jessie Sour Mash Recipe up to 10 gallon batches. I've used bakers yeast , ale yeast and distillers yeast. I pitched 5 gal batch, 1 time, with red star and actually got alcohol.Going to try something different, what can I lose. This batch I am using cracked corn and malted barley. Following a recipe on here. The one thing missing was the amount of yeast to pitch. I used 1 packet of Muntons premium Gold Brewing yeast. Is that right for a 7 gallon mash? How do you figure the correct ratio?
Kittra
Novice

Location: Mid Atlantic state, between the mountains and the foothills

Postby rad14701 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm

With Fleischmann's Dry Active Yeast in 2 - 1 pound bricks for under $5 at Sam's Club I have no reason to save yeast because I can barely use it fast enough...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Kittra » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Well gents and ladies, I pitched another pack of muntons gold to the all grain mash. There was nothing on just one pitch, after 28 hours

This may not be the hobby I had hoped for. Without some type of answers as to what is wrong, can't afford this, and man was I enthusiastic.... But money trumps enthusiasm.
Kittra
Novice

Location: Mid Atlantic state, between the mountains and the foothills

Postby Beerandsuds » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm

How big of a wash did you have for volume of yeast.
Beerandsuds
Rumrunner

Postby rumbuff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

I've been using wyeast ringwood ale yeast for my AG batches, and a couple of beer batches. It was pricy at 10 bucks for the liquid pack, but I made 3 petri dishes out of it, and so far have made 4 starters with 1 of them, and can probably get a few more out of it.. It's a little more work but I like the taste of the whiskey low wines so far, and it averages out to be pretty cheap if it works for you.
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Postby MadMasher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Been using White Labs California Ale I with good success. I read somewhere its the same yeast they use for Sierra Nevada Ale and does seem similar in taste. It is pretty mild and lets the grain through well. It seems to be pretty fast and can get through a mash in 3 days (SG 1.045). I like that its temp range is 68-72 which is generally the ambient temp of my house year round. I've stared using it on some Ujsm too. I think there was an account of someone using it on the parent site also.
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
MadMasher
Bootlegger

Postby Usge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

kittra, you got to give it time. The normal pitching rate for most yeast is one 5 gram packet per 5 gallons. It will work with less...it just takes a bit longer (until they multiply). There is always a "lag time" up front for the first phase as the yeasties get comfortable and start to multiply. This normally would be in the period of 24-48hrs...although it's not uncommon depending upon conditions to see it go a bit longer. You won't see any big acitivty during this time. AFTER that, the yeast start to eat/work and you'll see foam on top, bubbles, activity.

If nothing happens after 48 hrs or so, (that's 2 days), then we can move on to other forms of trouble shooting to see what's going on. This iis all assuming of course that you have fermentable sugars in the fermenter to start with. (ie., what was your SG?). And also, understanding that cold temps could lengthen the time for everything to take place. But, it sounds like to me, you just haven't waited quite long enough yet.
Usge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:41 pm

how did you pitch?and what temperature.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby Uncle Jemima » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Prairiepiss. I've been using EC-1118 for my all grains just because I figured I'd get the highest yields with it. Now that I realize I'm not going to get such a high yield that I need a yeast that can survive the higher ABV, I might try some brewers for my all grains. Which ones do you guys like for Brewers yeast or does it matter? The local brew store must have 20 to choose from. Thanks.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
Uncle Jemima
Bootlegger

Postby Usge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Really, Iv'e had most consistent luck with plain old bakers yeast (which is same as brewers yeast). But, if you are just hell bent on spending the extra money...I thought Nottingham Ale Yeast produced pretty good results with the AG I've done for making whiskey.
Usge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Uncle Jemima » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks Usge. Guess I'll just get some bulk from SAMs. Appreciate it.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
Uncle Jemima
Bootlegger

Postby Stainless dude » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 am

I've had good luck with red star bakers yeast. I get it in 1 pound bricks at costco or amazon. :D
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Cornfed50 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am

Hello all. I can tell you about a mash i made back 25-30 years ago all barley malt and my power went off and it was about 45 degrees in the house for a week to ten days and i had pitched m&f ale yeast and that was the best mash i ever made, also used corn sugar and added burton water salts to increase my hardness. I use different strains now.I guess its all about what you feel is best for you. I hear that some people have great luck with wild yeast, thats not for me. I did use a Belgium beer yeast once in a bottle of Afflegem ale. Its pretty slow but strong as a bull! You got to be careful about repitching and dont overpitch it(about 5 times) is all you can get away with without making a yeast culture. Sometimes it will mutate on you if it loses its stability and you get an inconsistent outcome. Cornfed
Cornfed50
Rumrunner

Return to Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients